Home > 274 Shivalayas > Sri Nageswarar temple

Sri Nageswarar temple



Moolavar : Nageswarar, Naganathar
Urchavar : NA
Amman / Thayar : Periya Nayaki
Thala Virutcham : Vilwa
Theertham : Maha Magam Tank
Agamam / Pooja : NA
Old year : 1000-2000 years old
Historical Name : Thirukudanthai
City : Tirunageswaram
District : Thanjavur
State : Tamil Nadu

Singers:

   The Lord of the temple is praised in the hymns of Saint Tirunavukkarasar. This is the 27th Shiva temple on the southern bank of Cauvery praised in hymns.


Festival:

   The main and most important festival of the temple is the Theerthavari when Lord comes to Mahamagam tank. Other festivals of the temple are Purattasi Navarathri in August-September; Margazhi Tiruvadhirai in December-January and Panguni Peru Vizha ? Great Festival in March-April


Temple's Speciality:

   Lord of the temple is a swayambumurthy. The rays of Sun fall on the Lord on 11, 12 and 13 of Panguni in March.


Opening Time:

   The temple is open from 6.00 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. and from 4.30 p.m. to 9.00 p.m.


Address:

   Sri Nageswarar Temple, (Kudanthai Keelkottam), Kumbakonam-612 001.


Phone:

   91- 435-243 0386.


General Information:

   The temple has a five tier Rajagopuram. Entering inside, we find the Nandavanam-flower garden at the left and the Singamukha theertha-sacred spring-at the right. Mother Brugannayaki and Nataraja Sabha are on the right side. The Nataraja Sabha is beautifully designed as a rath-car. The 12 cross wires of the wheel are (joining the wheel and the axis) are said to represent the 12 zodiac signs. The mandap is aesthetically designed in the form of a rath drawn by two horses and 4 elephants. The other noteworthy feature is Mother Sivakami is playing the Tala to the dance of the Lord Nataraja and Lord Vishnu playing the flute feasting the eyes of the devotees.


Prayers:

   Devotees pray in this shrine between 4.30 p.m. to 6.00 p.m. the Rahukala time on Sundays for relief from all ailments. They will not feel the fear of death at all. People pray to Lord Umai Oru Bagan (Lord Shiva having Mother Uma as part of His body) on Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays for re-union with their spouses. And they will never part with each other in life time.


Thanks giving:

   Devotee offer Abishek and Vastras for Lord and mother.


Greatness Of Temple:

   The temple was surrounded by bushes. It was the year 1923. A Shiva devotee, Padagacherry Ramalingaswamy collected funds by tying a brass bowl around his neck begging all. He renovated the temple with the funds he thus collected little by little. He also conducted the consecration of the temple. The next consecration took place in 1959 and finally again in 1988. Lord Nageswara is seated on a big Avudayar. He is small in size.


Temple History:

   Divine serpent Adisesha was bearing the whole weight of earth. As the weight grew due to the sins committed by the wicked, he could not excess weight and felt exhausted. He visited Mount Kailash and begged Lord Shiva to bless him with the adequate energy needed to do his job. Lord promised him the energy to hold the earth with a single head (Adiseaha has 1000 heads). Adiseaha, with the blessings of Lord Shiva came to this part of Kumbakonam where one leaf of Vilwa fell from the nectar pot. He installed a Linga here and worshipped the Lord. As Nagaraja the king of snakes worshipped the Lord here, He is praised as Nageswarar.


Special Features:

   Miracle Based: Rays of Sun fall on Lord on Panguni 11, 12 and 13 in March. Lord in the temple is a swayambumurthy.


*Sources from Dinamalar.com




 
Home        Worship       Gallery      Travel        Slokas     Contact us