Home > Siva Temples > Sri Veemeeswarar temple

Sri Veemeeswarar temple

Moolavar : Veemeeswarar
Urchavar : NA
Amman / Thayar : Swarnambikai
Thala Virutcham : NA
Theertham : NA
Agamam / Pooja : NA
Old year : 1000-2000 years old
Historical Name : NA
City : Cherapanancheri
District : Kanchipuram
State : Tamil Nadu




   Besides pradosha every fortnight, all Mondays, Krithika Star days with special pujas, the temple celebrates Maha Shivrathri in February-March, Sharadha Navarathri in September-October and Tamil New Year day falling almost on April 14.

Temple's Speciality:

   The rays of Sun circle around Lord Shiva at 7.00 a.m. during the Masi Month-February-March.

Opening Time:

   The temple is open from 5.00 a.m. to 9.00 a.m. and from 6.00 p.m. to 8.30 p.m.


   Sri Veemeeswarar Temple, Cherapanancheri, Kancheepuram.



General Information:

   Lords Nardana Ganapathi, Dakshinamurthi, Lingodhbava and Brahmma and Mother Raja Durgambika bless the devotees from their shrines in the pprakara.


   People submit their prayers at the feet of Lord and Mother to realize various wishes in their mind.

Thanks giving:

   Devotees light deepas in the shrines of Lord and Mother on Mondays and Sundays and perform archanas with vilwa leaves.

Greatness Of Temple:

   The temple belongs to the Thoonganai Mada Kovil style (temples with two floors).? This is the 18th such temple between Mamallapuram and Kancheepuram.? This and the Mannivakkam Manneeswarar temple were built by the same sculptor- architect.? Presiding deity Shivalinga is six feet tall.? Mother Swarnambika shrine is on the left facing south.? Opposite to the presiding deity is other Lord Shiva in a standing posture as if coming out of a time stone.? There are two big Nandhidevas facing the Lord.? It is the faith that the devotee praying continuously to Lord and the two Nandhidevas for three Pradosha days and light ghee lamps, would be blessed with a male child.

Temple History:

   There are stone inscriptions around the temple with Tamil and Kranthi letters belonging to the year 1182 AD.? The place was then known as Peruvanchur.? Chola King Kulothunga III had renovated the temple.
The place was also known as Rajendra Chola Nallur ande Kesari Nallur according to records. Sun God, chief of the nine planets and an authority for the health conditions of people was searching for suitable Shiva temple to help people to cleanse themselves of the sins and Karmas set on them. It was the Ratha Sapthami day when Sun God U turned His Chariot towards north from the south. He found a Shivalaya in this place, created a water source and prayed to Lord Shiva. Seeing Him doing so, all the 27 stars of the zodiac circle also came down and prayed to Lord to offload their own doshas. Lord, thus came to be praised as Vinmeengal (stars) Easwarar. In the years that followed, due to pronunciation changes, Lord is known as Veemeeswarar now.
Shukra-planet Venus prayed to Mother Ambica seeking a place for Him in the place to save women from any crisis to their Mangal Sutras. Mother blessed Venus with an ornament ? Swarnabaranam. Mother also told Him that it would not be right to claim a special place as Lord Shiva by Himself is the chief of the planets. Shukra-Venus obediently accepted what Devi said and begged Her to bless all the people as Swarnambika and with prosperity. Mother Devi granted his wish.

Special Features:

   Miracle Based:?Rays of Sun fall around Lord at 7.00 a.m. during the Masi Month ? February-March.?

*Sources from Dinamalar.com

Home        Worship       Gallery      Travel        Slokas     Contact us