Arulmigu Balamurugan Tirukkovil, Rathinagiri


Temple hours:
Temple Open Timings : 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. & 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Born on the 24th of January 1941 (in the Vikrama year of the Tamil Calendar on the 11th day of the month of Thai) in the small village of Kilminnal adjacent to Rathinagiri, he was the fourth Child born to Sri Kandaswami Mudaliar and Smt. Sinagarammal. He was named Dakshinamurthy and Sachidanandam, both being names of Lord Shiva. On Completion of his Schooling he entered the services of the Electricity Department. Soon after, he entered into holy matrimony with Sivakami and was blessed with two daughters and a son. One day in his 27th year, on his way to work, he climbed the hill to offer his prayers. There was neither camphor nor incense available at the temple. He walked around the shrine with a heavy heart and was suddenly overcome with divine awakening. He fell in a faint to the ground and on waking up was unable to remember his own self. He dressed himself in a loincloth. He took a sacred vow not to leave until the temple was restored to its former glory. This memorable event of Swami's spiritual awakening took place on 20th March 1968. Ever since then Swami's spiritual well being of his devotees has continued unabated.

Separate pathways were laid to ascend and descend the hill. A chariot made of granite was made and the main deity was installed there to facilitate renovation of the sanctum sanctorum. Two temples for Lord Ganesha were built at the foothill and uphill. A golden chariot was made for the Lord Murugan to circumambulate the shrine. Ornaments made of gold, silver and precious stones were made to decorate the Idol. Work Completed to Date: A granite sanctum sanctorum modeled according to the Chola architecture has been built at a cost of 20 lakhs for installing the deity. A spacious hall around the shrine, vimanam and a beautiful entrance has been completed at a cost of 50 lakhs. The rest of the renovation work estimated to cost another 50 lakhs is in progress. With the inflow of donations from devotees work may be completed soon and the kumbhabhishekam may be performed at a close date. Durga Temple: The worship of Durga Devi 'the bestower of success' has been carried on since time immemorial. A temple for Durga Devi was built at Rathinagiri and Kumbhabhishekam, performed on 8 June 1995.


In order to provide facilities to enable the rural youth to compete with the urban, a matriculation school was established for the children of the employees of the shrine on 19-08-1987. It has gradually developed and at present about 1019 children of the surrounding 18 villages are benefited by it. Every first Friday and Saturday lectures are held on Tiruvilaiyadal Purina, Tolkapiyam, Periyapuranam and Tirukkural for the public. Health: A 25-bed charity hospital has been built for the benefit of the poor. Specialists from all fields offer their services freely to the poor. Free eye camps are held every month and around 70 patients are operated free of cost.


 
Home        Worship       Gallery      Travel        Slokas     Contact us